Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:02 pm 

hi guys,

first of all, sorry that I haven't got proper photos of Galadriel yet, from GD - it's still sitting in the store, I'm afraid I haven't been able to make it back in to pick her up! But I'll do it as soon as I possible.

ANyway...I felt like a break from sculpting this week, so I painted a couple of figures instead. First of all I finally got another Guild of Harmony mini done - Yi Ling. As i've said before, the mini is based on the assassin girls from 'house of flying daggers', and I always wanted to try to give her a base similar to the scenes in the movie, where they are wearing green roebs amongst the bamboo forest. So I got my act together and did something! The bamboo is made from wooden skewers, and I used milliput to add the little ridges to make the segments.

And then I jsut felt like a bit of fun painting a rackham mini - I've had these cadwallon militia guys sitting around for ages. I haven't done any NMM for ages, and metallics have been frustrating me a bit lately, so I went for the classic rackham style to get it out of my system. Anyway - just a mini, nothing to write home about! :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:40 pm 

They look cool man!

I like the scene of the Yi Ling. Really cool, very green! If I remember correctly, as it has been many years since I saw the movie, but isnt the whole scene of the film very green? I assume that is the style you were going for? The painting ofcourse is good, but I am concerned with the ground scatter, it just doesnt come across as a forest floor to me! I cant really put my finger on it, maybe its the dark parts, or maybe it need some small rocks or differnet shrubs, I dont know, it just doesnt feel right to me... I will try and find some pics to explain what I mean better. :)

The Rackham guy is sweet! Very sterotypical style, but it appeals to me. I have suddenly become a big fan of the Racham style NMM after seeing a few of the ex-Rackham Studio guys stuff in Paris. Really want to give the style a go soon! The scene is really cool with the snow, its the Textured paste stuff right? The only thing I think could be added is some brighter Rusty type colours on the armour and metals in places.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:35 pm 

i agree with kyle on the base i think it looks more like a swamp than a forrest, due to the overal dark background and the large colour differences, the milita seargeant looks awesome, especially since your nmm looks very similar to the mm you used on celian durak

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/Paintbrushturkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:48 am 

Thanks guys :)

Well the forest floor, I was trying to make something similar to a couple of pics I was using as inspiration, where the floor is covered with old bamboo leaves and quite dark - maybe you are right and it needs a bit more 'life' though. I opted agaisnt adding any different shrubs or anything though because I wanted it to be jsut bamboo.

I just posted them on CMON btw:

yi ling: http://coolminiornot.com/237499

cadwallon militia: http://coolminiornot.com/237502

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:18 am 

Both are brilliant, in my opinion. You churned them out extremely quickly to, if i wanted to produce something of that standard well....i couldn't..no matter how many hours i threw at it :roll: :D .

The base on the second guy is awesome i love it, did you use the texture paste? The colours you used blue and red and blue-red are great, its amazing how limited the colours are and yet still very diverse in shades and strength. Freehand is cool, not over the top or anything. How many hours did he take?......i think i is falling for him :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:19 pm 

i reckon the forest floor looks great. just like the female archer. what did you use to scatter on?

the militia looks ace :D the white symbols on his chest and shield don't look as nice, but in real life its probably got some darker bits in it?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:56 pm 

Nice work Seb. I love those green robes. The bamboo is very effective, and looking again at your snow makes me frustrated that I didn't use the same technique on my GD entry.
I think the issue with the forest floor is just that the leaf litter is sitting up a smige too much and is not quite flush with the base.
Do you know the name of the texture paint you use for the snow?
Cheers.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 3:32 pm 

I like them both. Green scheme + bamboo = thumbs up and the old Rackham style thumbs up also.

http://www.coolminiornot.com/artist/wereweevil

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:15 pm 

Love em both Seb my favorite it is Yi Ling, such a study in green. I love the fact that even though there is really only one predominate colour you have given it enough variation to differentiate the different parts of the model and base. What green did you use on the dress?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:33 pm 

Fantastic work Seb, I agree with what's been said above, an excellent study in green. What did you use for the ground cover? It looks like quite a mix of different stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:14 am 

I just got to watch House of Flying Daggers (was great movie, nothing beats awesome fight scenes coupled with a twisted love triangle), really makes me appreciate Yi Ling a lot more. --got day off school--. Gonna have to buy one of these off you now Seb :D .

What would have been cool is if she had a dagger on her or that brown case they carry loaded wid the daggers. ANyway, great work :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:59 pm 

thanks for the comments guy!

dwayne - yeah I know, I was going to give her that brown dagger case....I can't remember why I decided not to - I know it was a good reasoN! haha..well anyway, you can always add one on yourself! ;)

dwayne and rapscallion (sean, right...?) the snow on the cadwallon guy's base is just the texture paste painted on in layers. The brand is 'jo sonja's', the white colour, coz you can get other colours too I think. Here's what it looks like: http://www.pioneercraft.com.au/zen/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3151 I haven't tried any other brand - who knows, another might be jsut as good, or better. Oh, and to answer dyane's other question - I painted him on thrus and fri, so hmm...maybe about 10 hours?

simon - the green on her clothes, let's see...well it's always a bit tricky to say the exact colours, because I jsut mix paints together on a palette until I get the colour I want. But the base colour was RMS (reaper master serties) spring green, mixed with a little camo brown and some darker green. For the shading, I went a lot more brown - mxied more of the camo brown colour (like P3 battledress green) with the base, and then even mixed VMC cadmium maroon (or black red) with the base colour for the darkest parts. And highlights, just combination of the RMS spring green with P3 menoth white highlight added, for the most part.

As for the groundcover, well it's mainly tea leaves - not regular tea, but one of those spiced or herbal kinds, from a tea bag. I can't remember exactly which kind...some of the teas, like camomile, have quite light colours and itneresting lookiing bits inside. I think this one might have been tulsi tea, actually! haha...anyway! And I mixed in some bits from those grtasses I used to make the younger bamboo stalks on the base. I kind of like the way the ground looks, jsut because it's different from the usual sand and flock you see - something a bit different is nice for a change.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:33 pm 

Great work, as usual. Love the green girl and the bamboo. I think that she maybe could have done without the tall shoots. It's just a bit busy in my opinion. The low stuff and the thick bamboo is fine and in fact, looks really cool.

The Cadwe dude rocks, but then I love those minis. The colour fade is nice as is the freehand, but perhaps is a bit too white, it might have looked nicer if it blended into the fabric a little more. Good to see you back with NMM, it just suits these minis, for some reason and these days I prefer it over normal metallics, except on certain minis (can't explain why). The base is good and the snow looks great, but I'm finding the branch a little distracting.

Can't believe how quick you are at this stuff. They would have taken me about 4 times as long and not turned out so well. :|

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:27 pm 

with the texture paste do you thin it down also how many layers do you do, I have tried it and it always ends crappy looking.
Cheers kieran

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:44 am 

Both look very nice Seb
Good to see you still have time to paint

With "Yi Ling" the bit I'm not sure about is actually the moss strands, just don't think the base actually needs them as well as the bamboo, and maybe some of the ground cover could have had slightly larger leaves. Still, a very nice piece, maybe I'll have to do a complimentatry one in red :)

And the Rackham piece is nice too, you do realise most painters would give up their left arm (So they can still paint with their right) for one of your "nothing to write home about" pieces :) Wonderfully blended and a great little bit of Rackham style freehand. I was just thinking myself that I hadn't painted one for quite a while.

My CMoN Gallery