Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:18 am 

Really great painting on your Yi ling.
Congrats for the green dress. Really smoothy as like you make with "turquoise" on others minis.
And Congrats more for the atmosphere: what this mini and her base make in my mind... Poetic moment before the tempest of a sword battle. Of course the base isn't a revolution, but it function very well.

"Ah Rackham, chère mini de mon enfance..."

Hum sorry but Rackham make me so "nostalgic", that i use Moliere language ^^.

"Oh Rackham dear mini of my childhood" ^_^

Rackham minis are like old wine: oldest are the best!
I can't be neutral, objective when i see a rackham mini. And when i see a rackham mini with a great painting, i only can say:

"An other please!"

MNM is like biking: when you know how to ride, you never forget ^^.

I.

iwok blog painter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 7:45 pm 

Thanks again for the comments, guys.

conrad and david - it's a fair point, that the bamboo might have been better without the 'younger' shoots,...and indeed, in all the pics from the movie, tehre aren't really any shoots, only the big bamboo trunks. But I jsut felt it looked a bit stark, or plain or something, with only the big trunks - I felt like it needed something of 'in between' size to make it flow onto the base a bit more, if that makes sense.

NOFX wrote:
with the texture paste do you thin it down also how many layers do you do, I have tried it and it always ends crappy looking.

hey Kieran - I find it surprising, if you have tried the texture paste without good result - I find that it is difficult to go wrong with it! But anyway, for mine, I added a few layers, sure...I used layers of pure texture paste without thinning it for the tickest snow parts, but I did thin it a bit with water for the 'edges' of the snow, to blend it into the painted areas. If you used, say, 1:1 texture paste to water, in lots of layers, I ca't see how you could go wrong, really. What was the problem with yours?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:45 pm 

Very nice work, Seb! I think you captured the feeling of the film pretty well with the Chinese lady. I've planned on doing something similar myself, and I'll think I'll do it eventually even though you beat me to it. Maybe I should start by purchasing the mini? :lol:

The Rackham piece is lovely in its simplicity. A bit of a return to your old style, which you know I like. ;) The snow looks really convincing. Does it have a bit of sparkle to it, or is it more flat? Do you think it produces better results than, let's say, PVA and baking soda?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:51 pm 

i tried watering it down and that was bad and then strait out of the pot and it just looked like a spiky white blob :(
Will give it another go

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:25 pm 

hey seb it is great to see you back and doing more painting ~~ hooray ~!!!!
both minis looks gorgeous~~~~ perfect 10 mate ~~!!

well for me on the Yi Ling base i will prbably do some cutted bamboo just try to make it interesting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:52 am 

THanks steve and Anders! Anders, yeah you should have a go at your own version, I'm sure it will be excellent! Don't let mine stop you.

Ritual wrote:
The snow looks really convincing. Does it have a bit of sparkle to it, or is it more flat? Do you think it produces better results than, let's say, PVA and baking soda?

Well I think it is a lot better than the baking soda method - for me it looks a lot better, but the best part is that it is MUCH easier to use. THere's none of that mess or problem getting it in the right areas, or worries about yellowing or powder falling off or anything like that. Because the texture paste really is like a 'paste' until it dries, and it is very easy to jsut paint it on - and then it dries in a couple of minutes, and job done! No hassle at all. And I think it does have a slightly crystalline appearance, also, which gives it just a little sparkle, like real snow. I guess you could mix it with a little gloss varnish as well, to emphasise this - I might try that next time.

NOFX wrote:
i tried watering it down and that was bad and then strait out of the pot and it just looked like a spiky white blob :(
Will give it another go

You must have had a bad batch, or a different product, or something, because it never behaves like that for me - give it another go!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:32 pm 

just posting some old links for people who don't know about the texture paste.
http://www.wargamerau.com/forum/index.p ... =14281&hl=
http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainter ... .php?t=169
http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainter ... c.php?t=92
http://www.mainlymedieval.com/ozpainter ... php?t=1527

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:34 pm 

sometimes, the container may have been sitting in the store for a long time before you buy it, and the mixture settles, so you may have to stir the thick white stuff underneath with the clear stuff that has settled on top.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:22 pm 

automaton wrote:
Well I think it is a lot better than the baking soda method - for me it looks a lot better, but the best part is that it is MUCH easier to use. THere's none of that mess or problem getting it in the right areas, or worries about yellowing or powder falling off or anything like that. Because the texture paste really is like a 'paste' until it dries, and it is very easy to jsut paint it on - and then it dries in a couple of minutes, and job done! No hassle at all. And I think it does have a slightly crystalline appearance, also, which gives it just a little sparkle, like real snow. I guess you could mix it with a little gloss varnish as well, to emphasise this - I might try that next time.

Sounds really good! Just to be sure... is this the product? http://www.rainbowsilks.co.uk/ProductDe ... &Code=JSTP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:47 am 

Yep, looks like it. Different packaging, it usually comes in a jar but it has the same name so I guess it's the same.