Oz Painters

Forum for the Australian miniature painting and sculpting community
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:02 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Pirates and paladin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:26 pm 

found a camera, time to share.

I'm sure some of you would find these interesting now...

Blackbeard:

Goblin pirate and powder monkey:

And the Paladin:

Doing a bit more with the bases and greenstuff now, GS'd the woodplanks to fill up the rest of the bases and did something besides covering the base in grass for the paladin is i usually do.

Ave also been having trouble getting a good color for wood planks and blunderbuss butts, any suggestions on a good color to use would be a great help.

Post subject: Re: Pirates and paladin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:39 pm 

thanks for sharing these, I really like that blackbeard model a lot (do you know who the manufacturer is?).. I think you've done a nice job on it; nice and neat, and the red sash and green sword details are both very nice touches as they just add extra points of interest.. I think maybe the sword hilt could do with some more highlights though.

As far as wood grain colour, I think your brown is too *brown*. by that, i mean it is very 'saturated' and rich.

If you have a look at planks on wharves, etc. they are actually very very washed out and appear to be more grey than brown:

(this is taken from a page with some interesting photos of wood textures: http://www.noctua-graphics.de/english/Tex/wood_02.htm)

I think you need to start with a less saturated colour> the brown you've used kind of reminds me of...welll... baby poo.. just a bit.. its so vibrant and brown! most aged wood doesn't look like that, unless it's been stained or polished.

If you have GW foundation paints, consider trying a Charandon grey / khemri brown mix, highlighting up to khemri brown and then adding some dheneb stone into the mix for final highlights. This will still retain a brown 'feel', but with a more washed out feel which I think might be better in line with wood planks. You could also do this for the blunderbuss wood, and then if you find it needs more 'brown' or more colour on it, you can then do some glazes with a thinned down brown, just to make the colour a bit richer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:11 pm 

I believe that Blackbeard would be a Reaper model.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:44 pm 

@shgray, all the models are reaper miniatures, the monkey comes packed with the goblin, and thanks for the wood textures, i plan on getting some paints tomorrow, ill add these to the list.
i'll have a crack at doing some more highlights in silver on some of the golds while im there too, thanks!