Secular pewter badge: Livery badge, Lancastrian
Time period:15th Century
Product Dimensions: Width x Height; 31 x 44mm
A King’s crown and ostrich feather. The ostrich feather and crown was one of the badges used by the Lancastrians during the ‘Wars of the Rose’s’ in the second half of the 15th century.
The ostrich feather was first adopted as a Royal badge by Edward Prince of Wales (The Black Prince) after the battle of Crecy in 1346. In this battle the prince was particularly impressed by the courage of one of his adversaries, the blind King John of Bohemia, and subsequently adopted the King’s ostrich feather badge as his own.