Pilgrim badge: Our Lady of Walsingham Fleur de Leys
Time period:14th – 15th Century
Product Dimensions: 2.5 cm width x 4.3 cm height;
Our Lady of Walsingham is a title of the Blessed Virgin Mary and was associated with the reputed Marian apparitions to Richeldis de Faverches, a pious English noblewoman, in 1061 in the village of Walsingham in Norfolk, England. Pilgrimage to Walsingham achieved widespread popularity throughout the middle ages, even eclipsing Canterbury towards the end of the 15th Century.
The Fleur-de-lys, representing the lily of purity and Mary was a popular Walsingham sign. The original from which this replica is taken in the Salisbury and South Wiltshire Museum.