Pilgrim badge: The Holy House
Time period:late 13th – early 14th Century
Product Dimensions: 3.5cm wide x 5.5cm high.
This badge shows the Holy House that was built in 1061 as a replica of the Holy House in Nazareth. The design was revealed to the builder, a gentlewoman called Richelde of Fervaques, by the Virgin herself in a series of dreams. This small structure attracted such attention that Walsingham Priory was soon built around it.
In the central chamber are the figures of the Virgin and Gabriel, standing either side of the Scroll and the Lily Pot. In the chamber below is the statue of the seated Madonna and Child.